Keep in Touch
Appendix 7 Juvenile Literature Collection
Approved by Library Council, 5/18/2005
This Juvenile Literature Collection Development Policy shall serve as a supplemental guide for selecting materials for the College Libraries' juvenile literature collections; the criteria and policy outlined in the College Libraries' Collection Development Policy apply unless otherwise noted in this supplement.
The College Libraries' collection of children's and young adult literature serves to make a sampling of juvenile literature available for study, for evaluation, and for use with children from preschool through secondary school, and also supports the study of juvenile works as literature. The Juvenile Literature Collection materials primarily support the educational programs of the School of Education and Professional Studies and the students of the Department of English and Communications, and serve the needs of the students and faculty of those programs.
The Collection Development Coordinator and the library liaison(s) to the teacher education department(s) of the School of Education and Professional Studies are responsible for selection of juvenile literature. Suggestions and recommendations shall be sought on a regular basis from faculty representing the teacher education programs to help develop the collections and keep them relevant to current course offerings.
Scope of Collection
The Juvenile Literature Collection encompasses two types of materials:
- Notable Fiction - Recent as well as classic works of fiction, ranging from picture books to young-adult literature.
- Nonfiction - Recent and classic works of non-fiction, representing the various subjects taught to students from preschool through secondary school.
- Major award-winning works of children's literature, including but not limited to the Newbery, Caldecott, Coretta Scott King, Michael Printz, and Mildred Batchelor awards, shall be collected comprehensively. Honor books for these major awards will also be collected.
- Non-fiction works of juvenile literature will be collected in the major subject areas in which the College offers teacher certification programs.
- Works of major juvenile authors will be continuously collected.
- Preschool through middle school encyclopedias, dictionaries, thesauri, and other juvenile reference works shall be included in the Juvenile literature collection rather than the general Reference collection.